- 2 figs, halved
- 1 banana
- 30g cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup (optional)
- Basic porridge recipe
- Refer to ‘Porridge Basics’ for base.
- Top with figs, cashews, banana and honey.
With skimmed milk:
With unsweetened soya milk:
Can be eaten hot or cold! Leftovers are perfect for a picnic when enjoying the beautiful (but limited) British sunshine.
- Potato, thinly sliced into circles
- 5 eggs
- 150ml semi-skimmed milk
- Cooked Ham
- 60g 30% lighter cheese, grated
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 220/8.
- Mix the potato slices with the olive oil and season.
- Line a oven-proof dish with the thins, including the walls, to cover and make a base.
- Bake for 20minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and milk together, and add the ham and cheese.
- Once the base is cooked, pour in the quiche filling, top with tomatoes, and bake for a further 20-30 minutes, depending on how deep the base is.
- Serve with salad or veggies.
The fat and salt content of this can be reduced further by not including the cheese, swapping the semi-skimmed for skimmed milk, and swapping out the ham for a lower-salt meat like chicken or tinned tuna.
Eggs – Eggs are the most useful protein source as they provide essential amino acids (the building molecules of protein), which are also absorbed most efficiently by the body.
Potato – A starchy, low-fat base they will provide you with energy for the rest of the day.
Cheese – Despite the high fat content, cheese is high in calcium for bone strength and stability.
Ham – A good source of Thiamin for the release of energy from carbohydrates and neurotransmitter synthesis, and high in protein for muscle repair and recovery.
The humble porridge… the breakfast staple that has been made for years… this is a basic recipe on how to make the perfect porridge!
- 50 porridge oats
- 350ml water/ milk/ milk alternative
- pinch of salt
- Add porridge oats, liquid and salt to a pan.
- Put on a medium heat and keep stirring.
- Cook until desired thickness is reached.
- Top and enjoy!
With skimmed milk
With unsweetened soya milk