Stuck for tea ideas tonight? This refreshing summery recipe is perfect! Easy to make but very impressive, especially if cooking for lots of people (and also super cheap)!
- 140g dried risotto rice
- 1 pint vegetable stock or water
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 cans mackerel in sunflower oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 100g frozen peas
- 150g green beans, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the onions, cook until just softened, for around 4 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and stir for a further 1 minute.
- Add the risotto rice, and keep stirring until the edges of the grains are becoming more translucent.
- Add a third of the stock, stir, and reduce the heat so it is simmering.
- When the first third of the stock has nearly reduced, add the mackerel and the second third of the stock and stir once more.
- Add the lemon juice, zest, frozen peas, and green beans with the final third of stock and cook until the stock has reduced and the rice is soft.
- Serve with lemon pieces and season.
Mackerel – High in essential omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids of which you should be having three times a week, and protein, so is a good choice of fish (and it tastes AMAZING)
Risotto rice – high in carbohydrate to give you loads of energy to get you through your day!
Peas – providing potassium, vitamin B6 for energy and dietary fibre for bowel moment.