I am stuck in not-so-sunny Cardiff so I thought I would make a summery spiced salad to cheer me up! Using North African flavours, this light and easy meal can be used as a lunch and a tea, and provides a load of vitamins and minerals for health.
- 3 chicken thighs
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 2 peaches, quartered
- 1 courgette, stripped
- 3 Brazil nuts, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 220/8.
- Mix the spices together and put half on the chicken thighs and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining spices to the peaches and add to the oven after the 10 minutes is over. The peaches and chicken thighs should now take a further 20minutes to cook.
- When they are nearly done, heat the olive oil in a pan on a medium-high heat. Add the courgette strips and cook until slightly browned.
- Plate up the courgette, peaches and chicken thighs, and top with the pomegranate seeds and Brazil nuts.
Chicken – a good source of protein which is high in the vitamins thiamin, riboflavin and niacin for energy production; and zinc for enzyme function, immune control and protein synthesis.
Peaches – High in vitamin A for vision, and C for antioxidant and immune function.
Brazil nuts – One of the best sources of selenium which has a massive role in the immune system and in thyroid hormone function.
Pomegranate seeds – Considered a superfood, pomegranate is high in vitamin C for immune function, folate for DNA synthesis, and potassium for fluid balance.
Courgette – High in vitamin A for vision, fibre for digestion, and magnesium for chemical reactions in the body and immune function.