Tasty, tasty, tasty… and providing a whopping 3 OF YOUR 5 A DAY, a solid 32 grams of protein, and plenty of vitamins and minerals to improve your health.
- 75g wholewheat spaghetti
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5 spears of asparagus
- 70g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp basil pesto
- 2 tbsp fat-free creme fraiche
- 60g king prawns
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Boil water in a pan and add the pasta, set a timer for 10 minutes – with 4 minutes to go, you will need to add the asparagus tips and the frozen peas.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a pan, add the tomatoes and prawns (you can use either cooked or raw prawns – if cooking from raw just make sure they are pink all the way through when fully cooked) and heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the prawn pan and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drain the pasta, asparagus and peas.
- Arrange the asparagus on a plate.
- Mix in the pesto and creme fraiche into the pasta and peas, and serve on the asparagus. Top with the garlic prawns and tomatoes.
Prawns – high in protein for muscle repair and growth, and low in fat.
Wholewheat pasta – high in starchy carbs for energy which will keep you going, and fibre to improve digestion.
Asparagus – high in vitamin A for vision, vitamin B6 for energy release, and folate for DNA synthesis.
Tomatoes – massively high in vitamin C for protein and neurotransmitter synthesis; it also has functions in detoxification and as an antioxidant. It also gives you vitamin A for vision and immune function, and potassium for fluid balance and muscle contraction.
Peas – providing potassium, vitamin B6 for energy and dietary fibre for bowel moment.
Creme Fraiche – no fat (as fat-free version is bought), and high in calcium for bone strength.