I was SO PROUD of this meal, I have never made my own sweet and sour sauce before and let’s just say I will be making it again! Nutritious and delicious!
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped into chunks
- 1 pineapple, flesh removed and chopped into pieces
- 5 tbsp ketchup or tomato puree
- 3 tbsp malt vinegar
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 200g sugar snap peas
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 100g basmati rice
- 300g water, boiled
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and gently fry on a medium heat until soft. Meanwhile, combine the chicken, ketchup, vinegar and sugar.
- Add the chicken mixture to the pan and turn up to a high heat to sear the chicken, reduce to a medium heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- In a separate pan, boil the rice with the water, and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10minutes.
- Add the peppers, garlic, peas and the pineapple to the chicken and cook for a further 5 minutes until the pineapple is hot and the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Chicken – a low-fat source of protein which is high in the vitamins thiamin, riboflavin and niacin for energy production; and zinc for enzyme function, immune control and protein synthesis.
Pineapple – an amazing source of vitamin C for protein and neurotransmitter synthesis, and manganese for protein formation and calcium absorption. It is also high in fibre for digestion.
Vegetables – this meal provides 3+ of your 5-a-day, giving you loads of vitamins and minerals!
Rice – a good source of carbohydrate, which is also low in fat and forms a energy-giving base for the rest of the meal.