Is everyone enjoying the sun? These low-calorie vegan burgers are perfect for cooking on a barbecue whilst soaking up all that vitamin D from the sunny days!
Makes 4-6 burgers.
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 can of kidney beans
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- A little water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Combine the chickpeas, kidney beans, lemon zest, dried spices and fresh coriander in a food processor until broken up but still lumpy.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan on high heat.
- Add a little water if needed, and mould 4-6 patties out of the bean mix.
- Fry for 10-15 minutes, or until the outsides are crispy and golden and the insides are hot. Be careful when flipping as this is when the patties are most likely to break.
- Serve in breadcakes with salad or with oven chips.
Typical serving for one patty (if 4 are made):
Chickpeas – a plant-based protein source. They are high in iron for oxygen transport, immune and vitamin C function; folate for DNA synthesis and cell production; and dietary fibre for digestion.
Kidney beans – Another important source of plant-based protein. They are high in dietary fibre for digestion and are a source of iron for oxygen transport whilst containing loads of antioxidants.