- 2 tbsp salsa
- 1 can (400g) kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (400g) black beans, drained
- 100g wholemeal rice
- 350ml boiling water
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 can sweetcorn, drained
- Wholemeal wraps (or see homemade wrap recipe at bottom)
- Rinse the rice through a sieve until the water runs clear.
- Boil rice with water for 15minutes covered.
- Mix in salsa and cumin and heat for a further 2minutes.
- Add the beans and sweetcorn, and heat for 5minutes or until the beans are fully cooked through.
- Serve with wraps and any spare salsa/ guac.
Beans – Both black and kidney beans are an important source of plant-based protein, providing over 30g per portion. They are also high in dietary fibre for digestion. Kidney beans are a good source of iron for oxygen transport, and they contain loads of antioxidants.
Sweetcorn – High in vitamin B1 and B5 for release of energy from respiration, and vitamin C for protein and neurotransmitter synthesis.
Cumin – Surprisingly, cumin is high in fibre for digestion and iron for oxygen transport.
Salsa – primarily made of tomatoes, which are massively high in vitamin C for protein and neurotransmitter synthesis; they also have functions in detoxification and as antioxidants. They also give you vitamin A for vision and immune function, and potassium for fluid balance and muscle contraction.
Wraps and rice, if wholemeal, provide dietary fibre for digestion.
HOMEMADE WRAP RECIPE
Makes 1 large/ 2 small wraps
- 50g flour (and more for dusting)
- 150ml warm water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Put flour in a bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Add the water a bit at a time, and the oil, and fold the flour in slowly until a dough has formed.
- Heat a little oil in a pan, meanwhile knead for 5minutes.
- Roll out the dough to make a thin wrap, and fry until brown spots have formed, turning halfway through.
For one large wrap (half if making small ones)