This meal provides you with 3 out of your 5-a-day, and is perfect if cooking for large dinner parties if wanting something easy!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 200g arborio rice
- 600ml chicken stock or water
- 80g chorizo, diced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
- 200g frozen peas
- Parmesan (optional)
- Heat the oil in the pan and add the chorizo and onion.
- Cook until the onions are just softened, and then add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the risotto rice, and keep stirring until the edges of the grains are becoming more translucent around the edges.
- Keep stirring whilst adding the vinegar and the tomatoes.
- Add the stock/ water in parts, stirring occasionally.
- When the rice is soft, add the peas and parsley, and heat until the peas are heated through.
- Serve and season, and add parmesan if needed.
Tomatoes – massively high in vitamin C for protein and neurotransmitter synthesis; it also has functions in detoxification and as an antioxidant. It also gives you vitamin A for vision and immune function, and potassium for fluid balance and muscle contraction.
Peas – providing potassium, vitamin B6 for energy and dietary fibre for bowel moment.
Chorizo – Although relatively high in fat and salt, in small amounts it can bring flavour and texture to meals.
Arborio rice – high in carbohydrate to give you loads of energy to get you through your day!